Monday, October 15, 2007

This means war!


Last week, Blanche, the other part timer in our office got a call. Apparently a check made out to our company was found in the parking lot of the building next door. The office manager who called was at first very nice but she wanted Blanche to come over to her office and pick it up. Blanche asked her to mail it as she is over 80 and didn't want to walk that far. The office manager refused and said we had to come pick it up in person with a letter of authorization saying we had the authority to pick up checks. Naturally, Blanche left the message for me to deal with as I am an expert in the weirdo department, plus I don't mind walking too much.
I called the very next day, talked to the office manager, and now we are at war. The lines have been drawn in the parking lot. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: Hi, This is Deanna, from (our company) and I hear you have found one of our tenants checks. I was just calling to see how we could go about getting it over here.
Idiot next door: Well, we'll have to have one of your business cards, and a letter of authorization from your company president saying you are authorized to handle checks for you company.
Me: Well, I don't have any business cards, I just work part time, and our "president" is on vacation this week. Can't I just run over and pick this up?
Idiot next door: No, I don't know that you work for that company or that they trust you with checks.
Me: Are you kidding me? This is a small office, its just Blanche, Me, and the "president". We handle all the checks between us.
Idiot next door: Well, I just can't hand this over to anyone. How do I know you even work there?
Me: You called here yesterday, how would I know you have it, if I don't work here?
Idiot next door: Well, the check stays in my desk until you get a letter of authorization and a business card.
What is wrong with you people?

No comments: