Sunday, September 9, 2007

I am trying to not hate panhandlers

I was at the grocery store yesterday, back by the Popsicles, when a large older man asked me for money. He said: "Do you have any spare cash I can have?" I said: "No, I don't, sorry." I hate when people ask me for money.

I finished my shopping and went to the check out lines, the man was at the customer service counter trying to get cash back from a gift card. I watched him as he approached about six people in the self scan line. You could see his progress of disruption as people moved around him to either avoid him or get out of his way.

He came over to the line I was in and began to question the fellow bagging groceries, he then moved up the aisle to the lady in front of me unloading her cart. He wanted her to use his gift card and give him her cash. She refused.

He pushed past her and took a hold of my cart, he asked me the same, would I use his gift card and give him the cash. I said: "No, sorry, I can't help you right now."
By now I was more than a little irritated, he was disrupting a crowded, slow grocery check out. All I wanted to do was pay for my stuff and go home. I am sure most of the people checking out heard me say : " Can't the office help you with that?"

One of the managers heard me and came over to shoo the guy out of the store. As soon as he left, I began to regret not helping him out. What if he needed the money for his electric bill? Or to catch up his rent or something.

At home, I told my husband how awful I was feeling. I hate that feeling you get after something happens, that you could have made a difference if you had acted differently. I thought I had missed my chance to do a good deed.

My hubby said that the guy probably wanted the money for liquor or drugs, churches and other organizations give out gift cards to people who come in asking for food. But you can't use them for liquor or cigarettes. He didn't seem to mind that I didn't enable this man.
That's why I love him. My husband that is, not the panhandler.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your BLOG - I am so proud of you for breaking out of your comfort zone and trying something new...I think this could be really cool!!!

Deanna said...

Thanks sweetie, and yes I know you aren't Aaron.