Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What did you really intend?

I process rent checks for my Mom's property management firm. This means when someone is late paying, I get to call and remind them they are late. It's pretty simple, all of our leases are the same. Rent is due on the first of each and every month. We say that a lot when the renter comes in to sign their new lease. If we don't get the rent by the 5th, we charge a late fee. I send out late letters on the 6th to remind everyone that hasn't paid yet.

The letter is pretty basic, pretty much what you would expect if you are a little late paying something. Around the 10th of the month, I start calling everyone who still hasn't paid. This is where things get interesting.

This month I called and left a message for a new renter, they just moved in during August. So September was their first month to send in rent. Not good to be late on the first months rent.

She called back and said she didn't appreciate getting a late letter. I explained about rent is due on the first of each and every month. She said: "I intended to be late this month, but if your going to send letters and call me, I'll just go ahead and pay now." Wow, how nice of you to pay your rent! I guess that whole talk we had about rent being due on the first kinda slipped by her.

I wish I had said "We didn't intend to rent to a delinquent" but I am trying to not be quite so sarcastic. I hear its better for my health.

What is wrong with you people?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deanna,

We have GOT to meet!! My husband and I went on the cruise last year with our best friends, and we had a great time! We got to have dinner with George most nights, and he told me that you and I would get along and have a lot in common. He is so right! I agree with everything you've said so far! Ha!!